Club app icon

Pitchero Club

The best way to keep up to date with Nuneaton Town FC


REPORT: Curzon Ashton 2 Nuneaton Town 2

3 days ago By OL 2

Boro' bounce back from Salford defeat with creditable draw away from home...

Nuneaton Town snatched a dramatic late point with Kelvin Langmead's superb volley levelling the score in stoppage time. The Boro' came from behind twice as Curzon Ashton pressed hard, desperately looking for the three points that would virtually assure their survival. Oliver Thornley's powerful strike opened the scoring for the Nash with Luther Wildin levelling before the half-time break. James Baillie's penalty looked to have won it before Langmead's late show.

Boro' played the ball around well in the opening 15 minutes but neither side created much in the way of clear cut chances until Thornley was picked out with a crossfield pass that found him in acres of space on the right. The full back had too much time and was able to drive on to the edge of the box and unleash a fierce effort that left Ross Etheridge no chance as it cannoned in off the far post.

Ashley Chambers had a chance to level soon afterwards but Cameron Mason made an excellent save to keep his side ahead. Curzon lost their top-scorer, Niall Cummins, as a Niall Heaton clearance hit him full in the face from point-blank range. The powerful forward was stopped in his tracks and pulled up lame before having a spell of treatment on the sideline. Ben Wharton was thrown on to replace him just before the half hour mark.

Langmead had a sight of goal as he headed wide from a free kick as Nuneaton were pushing hard for an equaliser. It came in the 41st minute as Wildin took possession on the right hand side and cut in, leaving defenders in his wake. As he waltzed in to the area, Kairo Mitchell touched the ball back in to the path of the Antigua and Barbuda international and he struck the ball in off the post. It was a goal that was reminiscent of his strike away to AFC Telford United earlier in the season.

There was a moment of controversy just before the break, Joe Guest broke down the left and Wildin came across to meet him as he drove in to the area. The two full-backs came together with Guest going down under Wildin's challenge. The Curzon faithful were crying out for a spot kick but Referee Steven Copeland immediately waved off the appeals.

The second period got off to a scrappy start, Boro' had the better of the possession but couldn't find a way through the resolute Curzon defence. Paul Marshall's free kick from a good position was wasted as it flew harmlessly over Etheridge's crossbar. Nuneaton were unlucky not to take the lead when a corner from the left came in to the box and pinballed around before dropping kindly to Mason.

Both sides headed wide from good positions, first Mitchell diverted his header wide from Chambers' cross before Wharton should have worked Etheridge but couldn't guide his shot on target. There was more controversy, but it worked out in Curzon's favour this time. Wildin was shepherding a heavy throughball behind when he was pushed in the back and knocked the ball out for a corner. What should have been a free kick for the Boro' became a penalty for Ashton as Tom Elliott brought his man down in the box.

There was no doubting the validity of the penalty, but the sequence of play that led to it should never have occurred. Baillie didn't let that distract him as he stepped up and confidently stroked the ball in to the bottom right hand corner, sending Etheridge the wrong way. Nuneaton found themselves trailing again, with just twenty minutes to play.

Moments later Baillie had a chance to put the game beyond Nuneaton, springing the offside trap and bearing down on goal. Etheridge got off his line quickly and came out to meet him as Baillie shot low at the 'keepers feet, allowing him to gather at the second attempt. The Boro' continued to probe as they looked for an equaliser and, just as it seemed as though they would be frustrated, Langmead popped up with a wonder strike.

Billy Daniels had retreated deep in to his own half to take possession and fired a long ball in to the Curzon area. Langmead tracked the ball over his right shoulder and stretched out to meet it with a stunning right foot volley that flew across the goal, into the bottom corner of the net, leaving Mason rooted to the spot and the Ashton fans in stunned silence.

Coming in the first of three added minutes there was little time for either side to find a winner as the game ended in a 2-2 draw. Gary Charles maintained his unbeaten record away from home and will look to extend it further when his side travel to Darlington on Saturday.

Updated 23:24 - 16 Apr 2018 by OL 2

Where next?

GOALDEN GATE DRAW: Week 46 Results Are you a winner this week?
PREVIEW: Curzon Ashton (A) We take a look ahead to the Boro's trip to the Tameside Stadium...

Win a share of £250k for your club

Sat 21 Apr
Nuneaton Town First Team Darlington
League 15:00
Tue 24 Apr
Nuneaton Town First Team Boston United
League 19:45
Wed 25 Apr
Nuneaton Town Academy (Under 19's) Grantham Town
League 14:00
Thu 26 Apr
Nuneaton Town First Team Hednesford Town
Cup 19:45
Sat 28 Apr
Nuneaton Town First Team Blyth Spartans
League 15:00

News sponsors


Club sponsors