Club app icon

Pitchero Club

The best way to keep up to date with Nuneaton Town FC


Nuneaton Town First Team - Match centre

Alfreton Town
Nuneaton Town
Sat 30 Nov 15:00 - Cup Full time Attendance 343

Alfreton Town 0 Nuneaton Town 1

Saturday 30th November 2013 (FA Trophy 1st Round)

Match report courtesy of Nuneaton News;

A brilliant free-kick by Louis Moult gave Nuneaton Town a second victory against Alfreton Town in a week as they won their FA Trophy first round tie 1-0 on Saturday.

Moult’s curler from 25 yards after 53 minutes was enough to earn a deserved win and £5,000 in the process.

There was little between the sides in the first half as chances and entertainment were limited.

It took 18 minutes for either keeper to be tested as Dave Hibbert linked up with Moult, the latter seeing his shot comfortably gathered in by Ross Atkins.

Alfreton’s closest effort of the half came four minutes later as Paul Clayton met Alastair Taylor’s cross with a good header from fully 18 yards that went a yard over Kelle Roos’ bar.

On the half hour Hibbert and Moult continued to show signs they are on the same wavelength as Hibbert released Moult.

He couldn’t get away from Michael Wylde so was forced to shoot early, firing wide from the edge of the box.

Roos was finally tested with a shot on target, but even that was pretty tame as he gathered in Taylor’s shot from 20 yards.

Just like against Chester, Moult lit up a poor game with a moment of brilliance. This time he lined up a free-kick 25 yards out and buried the ball in the bottom corner with a fantastic curler.

Atkins gave him a fair amount to aim at, but just like his free-kick at Dartford, this was some effort.

Boro almost gifted Alfreton a route back into the game soon after as Roos and Delroy Gordon hesitated. Clayton nipped in but he could only head wide from a difficult angle.

The game had opened up somewhat for a spell as Hibbert and Moult again combined, but this time it was Hibbert who dragged a shot wide.

With James Armson out of the side Moult was on corner duty and he whipped a great ball in after an hour that had Atkins flapping.

Gaz Dean and Emmitt Delfouneso both got shots in but they were blocked as Boro pressed for a second.

A terrible free-kick almost led to another Nuneaton chance as the ball was presented to Adam Walker. He and Moult raced over halfway but Alfreton got sufficient numbers back to snuff out the danger.

Without playing that well Boro were on top and creating half chances. The latest saw Hibbert show his power before shooting wide from 20 yards.

Alfreton were struggling to make chances, leaving central defender Wylde to shoot from fully 35 yards. There looked to be little on but he had Roos scrambling as it went just wide.

Danny Sleath had the chance to kill the game off with two minutes to go when he raced on to Moult’s hook on but his lob was gathered in easily by Atkins.

There was a final chance in stoppage time for Alfreton as Clayton’s scissor kick fell for Tom Shaw but he could only slide the ball straight at Roos from six yards.

Attendance: 343

Team selection

Team selection has not been published for this fixture yet.

Team sponsors


Club sponsors