REPORT: Nuneaton Town 1-0 FC United of Manchester

1 week ago By OL 2

Nuneaton Town defeated FC United of Manchester one-nil at the LDJ Solicitors stadium…

An Ashley Chambers strike proved the difference as Nuneaton Town defeated FC United of Manchester one-nil on Saturday afternoon.

The victory saw Boro return to winning ways following last weekends goalless home draw with Bradford Park Avenue.

The winning goal came in the 29th minute as Boro claimed victory in the reverse of the fixture that was Dino Maamria’s first game in charge.

Boro started the brighter of the two sides although struggled to create any clear cut openings. A number of corners delivered by captain Ryan Beswick tested, but did not severely alarm the FC United defence, although goalkeeper Lloyd Allinson had to react well to deny a close range poked effort from Kennedy Digie.

At the other end the visitors failed to get going early on and even when player-manager Thomas Greaves looked to have snuck in behind he was pulled up for offside.

Then with nearly half an hour played what had been threatened came to fruition. James Ferry, who’s workrate was phenomenal, made progress before squaring the ball to frontman Ashley Chambers who without hesitation swept the ball into the far corner. The right footed finish was coolness personified from Boro’s top scorer and gave the hosts a deserved lead in the 29th minute.

However despite the goal the game failed to come any further to life before the interval. Debutant George Green was though a bright spark, showing deft touches and telepathic link-up play with his new teammates. Whilst a fizzing strike which flew just wide from his left boot, further showcased the midfielders talent.

Yet at the other end no such threat was posed from the visitors, who despite an increased share of possession as the half went on were unable to test Dean Lyness in the Nuneaton Town goal before the break.

After the break it was Boro who threatened first. Both Chambers and Green were denied just moments into the second half by Allinson. Before midfielder Tom Elliott should have done better when he shot over after a Nti cutback left him free in front of goal.

Although a second goal was not forthcoming from such openings and the away side, having weathered the storm, looked to hit back. Both Daniel Racchi and Craig Linfield tried but failed to test Lyness from distance, however the Boro shot stopper had a slice of luck moments later. A miss-hit cross from substitute Samuel Tattum appeared harmless but its trajectory took the ball onto the cross bar. But fortunately for Boro Niall Heaton was on hand to clear the danger.

It was then Heaton who nearly proved effective at the other end. A Beswick corner was twice headed goal bound only for two goal line interventions to deny the defender from close range.

Boro were nearly made to pay for the passing of such opportunities but stood firm when it counted in the closing stages to claim a valuable three points.

Updated 13:39 – 4 Feb 2018 by OL 2

Where next?

REACTION: Dino Maamria Nuneaton Town manager Dino Maamria spoke to the media after today’s victory…
LOAN NEWS: Nabi signs! Adil Nabi has joined on loan until the end of the season…

Sat 17 Feb
Nuneaton Town First Team Spennymoor Town
League 15:00
Fri 23 Feb
Nuneaton Town Academy (Under 19’s) Boston United
League 11:45
Sat 24 Feb
Nuneaton Town First Team Chorley
League 15:00

News sponsors


Club sponsors